Contract Opportunity – Production Manager
Morpheus Theatre is a Calgary-based community theatre company entering our 25th season. We produce four main productions each year at the Pumphouse Theatre, run a G&S Junior Theatre School program and various educational workshops for adults throughout the season. Read more about us and our upcoming season at www.morpheustheatre.ca.
Morpheus Theatre is seeking a candidate with strong project management and technical theatre knowledge to fill the part-time position of Production Manager. This contract runs from July 23, 2019 to May 31, 2020 with the potential to renew. The ideal candidate will have a desire to remain with the program for a few years.
It is expected that work will be primarily concentrated around our producing activities, with some planning work throughout the season. The Production Manager is required to attend all production meetings for the 4 main productions, which are typically scheduled bi-weekly, and be available for load-in to the theatre, throughout tech week and the performance run, as needed, and strike. Tech weeks begin September 22, 2019, December 1, 2019, January 26, 2020, April 26, 2020, and May 3, 2020.
The contract fee is set at $4,000; payable $1,000 per main production.
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to work both independently and in close collaboration on tasks
- Be able to problem-solve calmly and effectively, including when under pressure
- Be a strong communicator, both in person and in writing
- Have experience with how to create a budget and track expenses
- Have knowledge of theatrical sound and lighting equipment
- Be able to participate ‘hands on’ in set ups and strikes
- Previous experience as a theatre technical director, production manager or running a venue is an asset
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Production Management and technical support for:
- Morpheus Theatre’s 4 main productions
- G&S Junior Theatre School performances (May 2020)
- Assistance to Morpheus’ one-act play
- Reporting to the Artistic Director, ensure issues are escalated appropriately
- Attend and chair all production meetings
- Liaise between directors, stage managers and designers throughout rehearsals, runs, tech, and performances
- Sourcing, renting and purchasing materials as necessary for the productions
- Schedule and run tech days in the theatre space, ensuring there is adequate volunteers for light hangs and set load-in and strike
- Liaising with the venue
- Ensuring that the productions are aware of and complying to the requirements of the rental agreement.
- Providing technical assistance for productions as required
- Available on an on-call basis between load-in and strike to troubleshoot technical problems that may arise during the run of a show
We are committed to employment equity and diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We will happily provide training and opportunities for growth for the right candidate to be successful in this position.
If you have any questions or are interested in applying please email the Artistic Director at the address below. Applications should include your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and your artistic practice. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for Applications: July 25, 2019