Director / Theatre Instructor – G&S Junior Theatre School
Morpheus Theatre is seeking a Director/ Theatre Instructor for its G&S Junior Theatre School program. This is a contract position beginning mid-October 2022 until mid-May 2023 (approximately 50 to 60 hours of classroom time). The remuneration for this contract is set at $2000. The ideal candidate will have a desire to remain with the program for a few years.
The G&S Junior Theatre School works with youth age 9 to 17 to produce a Gilbert and Sullivan production each May at the Pumphouse Theatre, on the set of the Morpheus Theatre mainstage production.
The program began eleven years ago –building a strong community of young artists while fostering a love for the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. Working within the spirit of community theatre, the program is inclusive and works to develop the skills of young artists in a safe, fun and inspiring environment.
The program has two classes running concurrently Saturday mornings from 10am to 11:30am (October to January) and 10am to 12pm (February to May). Two dress rehearsal and two performances will take place during the first two weeks of May.
The successful candidate will have:
- a strong love of theatrical education
- a passion for inspiring young artists to work towards their performance potential
- an appreciation of Gilbert and Sullivan
- experience working with and supervising youth
- ability to recreate a Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta for young audiences
- a current (or ability to acquire) police information check/vulnerable sector search for employment
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Artistic Director, Musical Director, and other Theatre Instructor to develop the course plan for the season
- Facilitate weekly classes based on the plan
- Work with the Artistic Director, Musical Director, and other Theatre Instructor to deliver upon the vision for the show, rewrite the script for the Junior members of the ensemble
- Instruct theatre/performance fundamentals
- Ensure a safe, professional environment while fostering a love of TYA performance and a lasting love of the arts
- Assist the students in reaching their potential
For more information on the program, please visit http://www.morpheustheatre.ca/?page_id=17
If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please email Morpheus Theatre’s Artistic Director at the address below. Applications should include your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and your artistic practice. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.