Auditions for A Christmas Carol (A Radio Play)
By Philip Grecian
Directed by Sean Anderson
Presented Online and at the Pumphouse Theatre Dec 11 – 19, 2020
This year’s Christmas family production is the classic story of A Christmas Carol, told as a radio drama onstage, complete with sounds effects and music cues. A cast of 11 performers will take on the role of nearly 50 characters.
Storyteller / Ebenezer Scrooge (older male)
Bob Cratchit and others (male)
Fred, Jacob Marley and others (male)
Mrs. Cratchit and others (female)
Ghost of Christmas Past and others (female)
Ghost of Christmas Present and others (male)
Tiny Tim, Fan and others (younger male or female)
Fezziwig, Whitlow and others (male)
Peter Cratchit, Dick Wilkins and others (younger male)
Charity Woman, Martha and others (female)
Belinda Cratchit, Mrs. Dilber and others (female)
We will also be casting two understudies to fill in if a cast member needs to isolate.
Individuals of all genders, ethnicities, and abilities are encouraged to audition. All performers should be over the age of 16 and able to play/voice multiple characters.
Performers will participate in the creation of the sound effects live on stage. Auditioners are encouraged to let us know if you play a musical instrument.
- Auditioners are asked to prepare a Self-Tape audition from one of the sides below. Audition tapes should highlight your ability to clearly voice multiple characters.
- Note, it is unlikely that you will be asked to hold a conversation with yourself in the show.
- Self-Tapes should be uploaded as “Unlisted” to You-Tube (or other platform), with a link provided in the audition form.
- Auditioners may be requested to attend an online callback to read with other performers.
- Please provide an acting resume and headshot with your audition form.
- Scrooge and Marley (older male)
- Scrooge and Fred (male)
- Adult Character – Option 1 (female or male)
- Adult Character – Option 2 (female or male)
- Younger Character (female or male – teens / 20’s)
Rehearsal and Performance Requirements:
- The first two weeks of rehearsals will take place online.
- The second two weeks will take place at the Morpheus Rehearsal Centre in Parkdale.
- Cast members, along with the director and stage manager, will form a performance cohort.
- Members of the cohort will be asked to commit to being part of only this cohort during the time of the rehearsals and performances, other than your family, work and/or school cohort. Specifically, there should be no other in-person extracurricular activities.
- Production team members will remain masked when meeting in-person.
- Performances will take place live and in-person at the Pumphouse Theatres.
- As a Radio Play, performers will have a script on stage, and do not need to be off-book.